Vintage is a trend that’s here to stay. It conjures up feelings of romance, elegance, nostalgia, and joy. At Box and Cox, we love vintage so much it’s what we eat, sleep and breathe. We see a lot of vintage weddings, and we’ve learned a few things along the way. Make sure you read our top tips if you’re creating a vintage style wedding!
1) Avoid trying to completely recreate a wedding set in the past. It can make weddings feel staged and without soul. Instead, use elements of the past to invoke the spirit of vintage but do so in an on-trend way. For example, why not suspend beautiful, traditional umbrellas or pretty lampshades from the ceiling of your marquee. Antique mirrors make great table plans when written on with a chalk pen. Aged furniture and styling props add a sense of history and personality.
2) Even though your theme may be ‘vintage’ don’t forget to make it personal to you as a couple. Perhaps you’re keen sailors – incorporate some vintage nautical touches into the overall style with well weathered life rings, oars, maybe even an old boat for your self-service drinks bar. Or maybe you’re film lovers – get some inspiration from retro cinemas with popcorn, light up signs, old fashioned tickets.
3) If you need to transport guests, why not choose a classic bus. Packed full of the romance of a bye gone ere, the Routemaster double decker busses or the smaller 1950s coaches will create a memorable vintage experience for your guests. Plus they make for some fantastic photos!
4) Don’t be afraid of colour! So many vintage style weddings have a pastel colour pallet. This can look gorgeous, but strong colours are amazing at vintage weddings. For florals, think of the traditional English cottage garden and how it’s packed full of blues, bright pinks, purples all jumbled together and it totally works! Packed into brightly coloured vintage containers like enamel coffee pots or old tin containers, your arrangements will scream vintage.
5) Don’t underestimate the power of nostalgia. Why not do sweetie favours with all the sweets you loved as a child. Your guests will love reminiscing about them too. Or perhaps create a DIY photo booth with the things that remind you of your younger days. 1980s telephones, your old school ties, you can even use the toys you loved as props!
6) Wedding days are as much about families are they are about you as a couple. Include some personal vintage history that involves your family in your day. Set out a display of photos featuring you both as children, perhaps your parents or grandparents on their wedding days. Don’t forget to add some funny photos too that will raise a smile and get people talking!
7) Create a vintage feel in your outside spaces. Guests stretched out on deckchairs or picnic blankets watching traditional lawn games, sipping champagne, Pimms or cloudy lemonade, create a relaxed and elegant feel. If you’ve got children attending the wedding, some child friendly garden games like Hook a Duck or a traditional Coconut Shy work brilliantly within a vintage theme.
8) Create a guest book that’s a real talking point for your guests. Perhaps you could ask them to type out messages on an old typewriter or write on vintage postcards to post into an antique letterbox. Message in a bottle is a lovely idea for seaside weddings and also works well for vintage themes. Guests write on paper scrolls and pop them into a bottle for the couple to read on their first wedding anniversary.
9) The cake can say a lot about your chosen style. Whether you choose a gorgeous hand painted cake or a tower or cheese, don’t forget to give a little thought to how to display your cake. Antique writing desks, dressing tables, old whiskey barrels, are all being used by couples to show their cakes off in serious vintage style.
10) If you’re serving after dinner cocktails or a buffet for your evening guests, why not bring in a retro catering van. Sleek silver Airsteam caravans, 1950s ice cream vans, VW campers, can all be found proving some serious treats out of their quirky vintage transportation.
To help create your dream vintage wedding, hire some vintage style from us at Box and Cox Vintage Hire. We stock Cornwall’s widest range of vintage hire items and deliver throughout Cornwall.